Monday, September 6, 2010

Weapons of Choice,A Personal Preference,Part I

 I am sure that many people like myself are sure that we in the United States have some kind of armed conflict coming our way. Exactly how large and the reasons why are debatable, weather it be because of an Economic Collapse or because of Governmental Oppression and/or a ¨Restoration War¨ most of us are sure a Conflict is Coming.

 Many have been preparing for quite sometime now and others are just becoming aware. And there are as many opinions about which weapons are best for personal defense and for any offense that could be needed in any of the above mentioned scenarios. The choices are difficult with all the many different type of arms and calibers available to the public, Depending upon Your location and your inclination to stay within the boundary´s of the Law.

 One thing I want to make perfectly clear I AM NOT A EXPERT, and this is not to be construed to be Expert Advice, there now the disclaimer is out of the way. I do and have done quite a bit of shooting. Still no Expert but not compleatly new the the world of Firearms either.


 First I´m going to tell you the reader of this article some of the weapons that I have and the why´s of why I chose these particular Arms and Calibers. And optional choices that you can make if you don´t think you can handle the recoil or want a more Modern Firearm. Then I will tell you of the arm´s and calibers that I plan on Purchasing or would like to Acquire if Finances and Circumstance Permit.

 One thing I have forgot to mention and this IS VERY IMPORTANT, ALWAYS BUY THE BEST FIREARM YOU CAN AFFORD EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO STREEETCH YOUR MONEY TO DO SO, YOUR LIFE AND THE LIVES OF YOUR FAMILY MIGHT DEPEND ON CHOICES YOU MAKE TODAY!

 First is a pistol at this time I have a Kimber-Stainless II, 1911 in .45acp.see above, the best you can afford few if any 1911´s are made better the a Kimber without going to a custom gun maker. Stainless because it requires a little less maintenance, And adds a little weight to the pistol to help control recoil. Caliber in .45acp because it´s about the most I can Handle in sustained firing. And it is a proven ¨Man Stopper¨, through Two World Wars, Korea and Vietnam and is still in use by the U.S Armed Forces with Special Forces such as Seal´s and S.O.G., not to count the hundreds if not thousand´s of times it has been use in self and home defense. There are other options such as Glock and Sig but for me they have to long of a trigger pull and that messes up my Aiming if you can tolerate the long pull these might be better choices for you. Especially since they generally have higher capacity magazines. Other calibers for people who can´t support sustained firing of the .45acp could be the .40cal., the 9mm and the .38super, .380 or even the little .32 a Minimum cal. at best. I am not very fond of the 9mm because of it´s over penetration and noted lack of Stopping Power, there is Ammo in 9mm that addresses these problems but are not READILY available. Almost any .45acp weather it be HP or Round Ball will put down a man sized target almost every time.The same can not be said about the 9mm and there are Police Reports and Military Studies (see above Special Forces and SOG) to prove this. Although the Scavenging of ammo might make the 9mm more of an attractive choice, if that is your view then the 9mm might be the caliber for you.

 Next I have a 2in. Rossi double action Revolver in .357 mag. this particular Revolver has rubber grips and for me is comfortable to shoot and I can use any .38 cal. rimmed case cartridge I can find if the need to Scavenge was to become necessary. With only 6 shoots available I purchased 2 speed loaders for a total readily available 18 round capability. and the Revolver is concealable. In a environment where that would be necessary a definite plus. There are two many options to go into the which is the better choice the Rossi is not the Best but at the time It was what I could afford and after 16 years I still have no burning desire to replace it. I also once had a S&W 686 in .357 with a 6 in. Barrel and if I was to look for another Revolver that model would be very high up on the possible choices. Not too many people realize it but the
 .357 actually has a higher percentage of kills than the .44 mag. according to a copy of a Police report that I saw in a gun Magazine a few years back. I don´t remember which Magazine it was for sure but I think it was ¨Guns & Ammo¨ And the .357 is easer on the hands than the .44 mag had one a Rugar Super Blackhawk and liked it a lot, I actually ¨Shot it out¨with hot loads, I bent the Cylinder pin and sold it instead of paying for repairs.
Dennis
III
Texas

1 comment:

  1. Most effective load ever (according to FBI): .357 125 grain SJHP at 1440 ft/sec; for example, Federal 357B and Remington 357M1.

    ReplyDelete